The following are just some of Rathkeale’s successes along the path to sustainable rejuvenation.
Rathkeale business owners are making enhancements to let shoppers know that their custom is always appreciated and is never taken for granted:
- €2.5 million was invested in the reopening and renovation of the Rathkeale House Hotel.
- The Rathkeale Community Council opened a Welcome Centre with a Failte Ireland Tourist Point at the Community Centre.
- Sean Hennessy Electrical relocated from a small shop to a giant superstore just off the N21.
- Downes Eurospar integrated the famous Deel Bakery into the supermarket keeping White family talent and equipment in the town.
- Deelside Veterinary also moved to a purpose built best in class clinic with easy access from the N21.
- Tadhg O’Connor added a Euronics electrical section in their reorganised furniture store.
- White’s Foodstore and Filling Station opened a new easy access Fuel Depot.
- O’Sullivan’s Bar added a new outdoor beer garden creating a comfortable safe social experience for patrons, even in winter.
- Bloomers Catering started to bring the best of Rathkeale to other towns with its new food truck.
- The Rathkeale Community Council opened a new Community Charity Shop with bargains on clothes, housewares, books, DVDs, and bric-a-brac.
- Glow Sarah Jane redecorated and upgraded creating an even friendlier and safer beauty salon.
- Bobby’s Hair Salon moved to a recently renovated shop across from the Eurospar.
- Giltenane’s helpful, friendly, pharmacy repainted their shop front and added a weather friendly awning.
- Triona Doody Kennedy upskilled at the American Beauty Academy in Cork adding Microneedling and Microdermabrasion to her extensive list of facial treatments at the Beauty Bliss Clinic.
- Patsy’s Ladies Fashions painted and revamped, adding room to make customers more comfortable.
- Ó Gairbhí Newsagents repainted and added an online catalogue of toys using Facebook with a call and collect service.
- The Beehive Play Learn Grow crèche was revamped, and the policies and procedures updated to ensure a continued safe, warm, caring, and nurturing environment for young children.
- Layna’s Beauty Rooms is getting a facelift enhancing the ambiance of Main Street.
- John Dinnage Menswear is launching a new website offering their products to customers nationwide.
- The Tyrestop added space to make customers more comfortable while waiting for the work on their vehicles to be completed.
Rathkeale residents, civic organisations and others also organise and participate
- Rathkeale hosts regional free drop-in Covid Testing facility for the National Ambulance Service supported by HSE Mid-West Community Healthcare and Public Health Mid West.
- St. Mary’s Catholic Church broadcast Christmas Eve and Day Masses online receiving over 800 views, 8-times the congregation capacity within the church during Covid restrictions. The Holy Trinity Church of Ireland also broadcast services online for Christmas 2020.
- The Memories of Rathkeale collection of essays was published by Anita Hawkes Lyons of Cappagh.
- Rathkeale had the lowest 2020 crime in the Newcastle West Garda District of 31 towns as of as of mid-November 2020.
- The Great Southern Greenway was upgraded by Limerick City and County Council. The Greenway starts in Rathkeale and runs all the way to Kerry.
- The Rathkeale Pre-Social Cohesion Group, that includes Travellers and settled people, was a winner in the 2020 Pride of Place awards, an all-island competition about people coming together to shape, change and improve daily lives in their communities.
- Rathkeale had its say in how the now closed St. Anne’s Convent might be reused in the future to benefit the town.
- Limerick City and County Council is compulsory acquiring the 33 house Ballywilliam estate (started, but not completed), and 4 additional properties on Main Street. If these were all completed as houses, they have the potential to increase the number of Rathkeale households by 6% and accommodate an additional 110 people living, working, and/or attending school in the town.
In the News
The mainstream media are taking notice of Rathkeale’s successes:
- Rathkeale on the rise – Limerick town looks to come out of Covid-19 pandemic stronger than ever, Limerick Leader, 20/12/20.
- Mayor Michael Collins officially opens Rathkeale Welcome Centre, I Love Limerick, 22/9/20.
- Rathkeale rises to the 52 coin challenge, Limerick Post, 30/1/20.
Share Your Success Story
Tell us about your upgrades and successes. If you have a website please include the URL. Get in touch by emailing
Page content provided by David Lamont and others. It is hosted by the Rathkeale Community Council.