Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church is the home of the Church of Ireland in Rathkeale. The site has been a place of worship since the 13th century. The present church, which replaced an earlier building, was built in 1831. Headstone inscriptions in the graveyard date back to the 1700s, with many Palatine names evident.
The beautiful stone church is built on a hill on the West side of the town and is approached by a stone stairway. It is of a classic design of its era, with a simple nave and a tall square tower. Along with the hilltop pinnacle of St. Mary’s Catholic Church, the tower of Holy Trinity forms a notable skyline in Rathkeale, visible for many miles. The church has three important stained-glass windows by Catherine O’Brien: the Sower (1931); St. Paul and St. Luke (1937).
Additional information is available on the Rathkeale-Kilnaughton Parish website and National Inventory of Architectural Heritage website
© June 2019 by the Rathkeale Community Council. Pictures by Rathkeale Image & Tourism Committee.